Moving home signifies new beginnings, but the work involved can be tedious. On average, homeowners move about eleven times in their lifetimes, implying the necessity of doing so and understanding how to do it efficiently. If you plan on moving anytime soon, you may wonder what it takes for a more fruitful process. This article discusses how to move home like a pro to make this activity successful:
1. Start Early With Preparations
Moving requires adequate preparation, and gaining insight into expert strategies is invaluable. Keep in mind that the process involves many intricate details, including moving hacks you can share to your friends, which can streamline the entire experience. Preparing to move home can be more engaging, enjoyable, and effective by doing the following:
- Declutter: You may not need to move with everything from your old house; hence it’s best to declutter. Try identifying what you won’t need after moving, including the batch of old clothes you long wanted to dispose of or any obsolete appliance that seems unhelpful.
- Create A Checklist: It’s also prudent to create a to-do checklist for before, during, and after the move.
- Gather Packing Supplies: Collect boxes, packing papers, tapes, bubble wraps, markers, and all other necessary supplies to save yourself time and avoid delays.
- Secure Liquids In Sealed Plastic Bottles: Place all liquids in sealed plastic bottles to prevent spills that could damage various items or create a mess.
Early preparations can be handy, saving you from the last-minute headache. If you are moving with a company, it’s best to put everything in place to avoid extra charges due to delays.
2. Pack Accordingly
Packing is essential when moving homes, and it’s advisable to give it careful consideration. The condition that your items will be on arrival will hugely depend on how you organize them, and you should pack them strategically. Some viable packing tips can include the following:
- Pack All Plates With Styrofoam Between Them: Styrofoam absorbs shocks and prevents scratches due to movements. Additionally, styrofoam reduces the disruptive noise caused by knocks during transportation, providing a quieter moving experience.
- Pack Hanging Clothes In Large Plastic Bags: Removing and folding hangers from your clothes can be tedious and time-consuming. Trash bags eliminate that need as they let you wrap them without having to do much.
- Pack A First-Night Box: It’s best to know that you may not necessarily have to unpack every item once you arrive due to fatigue. Therefore, pack a first-night box to get you through the next busy day.
Label all boxes clearly, and mark those containing fragile items as ‘Fragile.’ That should enable you to group items and carefully move them to avoid breakages and imminent losses. Moreover, ensure other delicate items, including houseplants, glassware, and picture frames, are in a labeled box.
3. Notify Relevant Parties And Contact Movers
It’s best that you inform relevant parties before moving. Ensure you contact your banks, post office, insurance providers, and other utility companies associated with your old home. Provide them with the necessary details about your move, including your new address, to facilitate address changes and ensure a smooth transition to your new home.
While looking for movers, it is best that you comprehensively weigh your options to pick the best. Try reading reviews to understand how various companies operate to determine what suits your home moving needs. You might also consider professional interstate movers like Muval as a reliable option. You can also leverage advice from friends and families to ensure your mover does commendable work.
4. Keep Fragile Items In Your Car
If you’re moving with a company, allowing them to load fragile items in their trucks can be costly. They might stack the boxes haphazardly, without knowing which items need delicate handling. Furthermore, the movement of the truck during transit can pose a risk to delicate items.
Therefore, ensure that you transport all delicate items in your car, where you can personally monitor them, and drive at appropriate speeds to prevent damage. If that is impossible or the space doesn’t allow it, please speak with your moving company to arrange extra transportation to safeguard these items.
Moving home is a significant event that necessitates meticulous planning and execution. Starting early with decluttering and organizing, packing strategically, notifying relevant parties, and taking extra care with fragile items are essential steps to ensure a smooth transition.
Following these pro tips not only alleviates the stress of the moving process but also paves the way for an organized and efficient start in your new home. With thorough preparation and organization, you can make your move efficient and stress-free.