Winter can be an exciting time! There’s the build-up to Christmas, the chance of snow days, and the New Year is looming. But, if you’ve got treasured garden furniture, it’s important not to neglect it during the cold winter months.
This is particularly important for your outdoor cushions, as the elements can be taxing on them. It might seem like an unnecessary chore but we promise; the benefits of taking simple care of your outdoor cushions make it worth the effort.
You can choose to store them in a variety of ways, some choose to bring them inside until the warmer weather returns and others take their chances with the harsh winds and rain. If you don’t take care of them against the weather changes though, the life of your cushions will be shortened, when prolonging them is an easy overall task.
After a long summer of use, your outdoor cushions might be looking a little worse for wear. If you want to keep them in good condition for next year, you’ll need to store them properly over the winter. Here’s how:
1. Clean them thoroughly, using a mild soap and water solution.
2. Allow them to dry completely before storing in a cool, dry place.
3. Put them in a sealable plastic bag to protect against dust and moisture.
4. For an extra measure of protection, put the bag inside a storage shed or deck box.
5. To keep your cushions from getting too musty, add a handful of dried lavender to the bags.
Table of Contents
- Can you leave outdoor cushions outside in the winter?
- Where to store outdoor cushions during winter?
- Tips for keeping your cushions safety
- How to clean your cushions from mould and mildew?
Can you leave outdoor cushions outside in the winter?
As the weather cools down and winter approaches, you may be wondering if it’s okay to leave your outdoor cushions outside. After all, they’re made to withstand the elements, right?
Well, the answer is a bit complicated. While most outdoor cushions are weather-resistant, they’re not necessarily made to withstand freezing temperatures. So, if you live in an area where it gets cold in the winter, it’s best to bring your cushions inside or store them properly.
However, if you live in a mild climate and your cushions are made of durable materials like Sunbrella fabric, you can probably leave them out all winter long. Just be sure to give them a good cleaning before putting them away for the season.
Where to store outdoor cushions during winter?
1. Get or build a storage shed
One option is to buy or build a storage shed specifically for your outdoor furniture. This will keep everything together in one place and protected from the elements. You can also cover your furniture with tarps or plastic sheets to keep them dry. If you have room in your garage, you can also store everything in there.
2. Get a storage deck box
We recommend using a suitable deck box if you don’t want to bring the outdoor cushions indoors. You can take look over our ultimate best deck box guide as we have covered a variety of styles on offer, at a variety of prices.
Large and extra-large deck boxes are particularly useful as you can store not only your outdoor cushions inside them but keep your gardening tools safe all year long without causing clutter in your home.
3. Invest in waterproof covers
Another option is to invest in waterproof outdoor furniture covers. These come in all different sizes and shapes, so you can find one that fits your furniture perfectly.
Tips for keeping your cushions safety
Before protecting your outdoor cushions in the safety of a deck box, we recommend you take some steps of action to keep your cushions at the best level of quality they can be.
These steps are simple so don’t worry, and they’re not too time-consuming either.
- clean. You wouldn’t wear clothing that had been sitting outside for months on end, and your cushions deserve the same care.
- Even though most outdoor cushion covers are designed to be weatherproof, having an annual routine that involves caring for them will keep that weatherproof function intact, and ensure you get the best out of cushions. If they aren’t waterproof, then it’s even more important to take care of your cushions!
- You’ll find that most cushions have removable covers, which makes the task of washing them quick and easy. Just throw them in the washing machine with some gentle detergent, make sure you read the label first to know what cycle to wash these on and you’re ready to go.
- You can give the cushions a scrub if you want to take extra care of them, especially if your covers aren’t removable. Always air dry your cushion covers for the best result
How to clean your cushions from mould and mildew?
But what if your cushions have already been subjected to temperamental weather conditions? Mould and mildew are common occurrences on outdoor furniture, and stains are easy to come by if enjoying a glass of wine or some beer after a summer barbecue.
For this, we recommend a home-made mixture containing one cup of bleach, 1/4 cup of mild soap and up to a gallon of water.
Mix the contents until the soap and bleach dissolve completely into the water, decanter into a spray bottle, and begin spraying those stains!
Allow to sit for approximately ten-fifteen minutes, scrub and rinse. Allow the cushions to air dry.
Once your outdoor cushions are successfully cleaned and dried, they can be placed in storage. Like we said, a deck box is a wonderful solution if you aren’t blessed with spare space indoors. Or if you have a lot of outdoor tools and furniture that also needs protection.
Sheltered areas can work well, such as under a patio or in a tool shed, but these aren’t always completely protected if some really harsh weather hits, which depending on your location, can be more surprising for some than others.
Can you leave cushions in deck box over winter?
As the weather starts to get colder, you may be wondering if you can leave your cushions in your deck box over winter. The answer is yes, but there are a few things you need to do to make sure they stay in good condition.
First, if your deck box is not waterproof, you’ll need to put a cover over it to keep the cushions from getting wet. Second, you’ll want to put something inside the box with the cushions to keep them from flattening out. You can use old blankets or towels for this.
Finally, if your deck box is made of plastic or metal, you may want to consider putting it in a shed or garage over winter. This will help protect it from the elements and extend its life.
How to store garden cushions over winter?
Garden cushions are a great way to add comfort and style to your outdoor space. But when the weather starts to turn, it’s important to store them properly to keep them in good condition. Here are some tips for storing garden cushions over winter:
- If possible, store cushions inside. This will protect them from the elements and extend their life.
- If you must store cushions outside, make sure they’re in a dry, sheltered spot. A storage shed or porch is ideal.
- Be sure to clean the cushions before storing them away for the winter. This will help prevent mold and mildew from forming.
- Place the cushions in plastic bags or covers before storing them. This will further protect them from moisture and dirt.
Can you vacuum pack outdoor cushions?
If you have outdoor furniture cushions that need to be stored away for the winter, you may be wondering if you can vacuum pack them. The good news is that you can! Vacuum packing your outdoor cushions is a great way to save space and keep them clean and free of dust while they’re in storage. Here’s what you need to know about vacuum packing your outdoor cushions:
- Choose the right size storage bag. You’ll want to make sure the storage bag is big enough to fit your cushion, but not too big that there’s a lot of excess air around the cushion.
- Clean your cushion before packing it. This will help ensure that it stays clean while in storage.
- Place the cushion in the storage bag and seal it tightly.
Is it ok to leave outdoor cushions in the rain?
Here’s the thing: most outdoor cushions are made from materials that can withstand getting wet. But, if you have cotton or wool cushions, it’s best to bring them inside when the rain starts to fall.
The bottom line is this: if your outdoor cushions are made from durable materials, feel free to leave them out in the rain. But, if you’re not sure or if they’re made from more delicate materials, it’s always best to err on the side of caution and bring them inside until the storm passes.
So, think outside the box-or, well, in the box in this case! Deck boxes come in an array of materials, prices, sizes and forms and as long as you choose one that suits your needs, and is weather proof, you can’t go far wrong.
We suggest putting your outdoor cushions in plastic bags or wrapping them in a plastic wrap if there are too large for a bag. Just for that extra bit of protection from the winter elements.
You can rest easy with a hot chocolate in front of the fire, knowing your cushions are safe and secure until next summer’s BBQ party can commence!